Friday, March 27, 2009

Thing 18: MyFaceSpaceBook, So Now I am Virtually Connected, Virtually.

So I have gone and done it and am now apart of the social web. I created a Facebook account.I even found two of my oldest friends in there and asked them if we could be friends, which we already are, but I need friends so I begged my friends to be those friends. No, not that kind of friend, the other kind. I hope they will be my friends. Kind of like the whale that falls to that planet in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy because he was pulled from his real existence by the probability drive on the Heat of Gold. Yeah, like that.

I am not going to create a Myspace page though. One social website presence is enough for me in this life time. I have seen Myspace before, and I think I can draw distinctions between the two mega social sites.

Myspace is a very put yourself out there and see who you can meet in the ether kind of a place. Facebook is more controlled and requires a level of agreement in the socail connecting that goes on. Myspace is wild and woolly, a free for all romp. Face book is much more cold and calculated, and the background is always white, very sterile.

I can see how Facebook could be used in a professional capacity, much more so than Myspace. It is also less likely to be a stalking ground for under aged children than Myspace. Somewhat more control.

In the end, I see no real attraction to either in my personal life. As for professionally, well I can see some applications that could pan out.

Thing 19 is what, the alternative to these? Ok, lets go explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment