Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thing 19: More Social Things, Yeahhh.

So more social things. I guess there just aren’t enough out there.

I do have to say that I really liked WebJunction. That is a great resource. I have known about it for some time, but hadn’t ventured in yet. I think I will be spending more time reading through content now. It defiantly creates spring boards for thought, and answers for other thoughts. Excellent professional resource.

Ning I found less uses for, but I could spend some time poking around. Did you get that, I used a “ing” word when talking about Ning. Ohh, I did it again. Anyway, this does not strike me as a real productive tool. I like how you use it to create specialized groups, and I liked how everything was presented. In fact, I liked it much better than the following site, Gather.

After reading the article about Gather, it seemed like it might shape up to be interesting, but the article was written in 2005, and I have a feeling that the site has change a good deal since its original inception. I really found it rather sloppy and haphazard. The groups I looked through really didn’t strike me as something I would want to read on any regular sort of basis. I poked around on a few of the other possible sites listed below the articles, and most of those I also found to be kind of, well not interesting. Ok, but not interesting. I have spent some time on Last FM before and had some fun with that site, but my tastes in music tend to lead me back to the Live Music Archive on Archive.org. I find more of what I want to listen to there than anywhere else.

Reading the second article, I can see how an effort into these tools can be a positive presence for a library, but maybe not in these Things as much as, say Facebook or even possibly Myspace. It is good to play around with new stuff though.

So I will look at Thing 20, say that’s getting pretty close to 23 Things, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment