Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thing 21: Stuff for Students

So now this is a great resource. This is the kind of thing we need more of. And at the same time I think that students should just work harder and figure all this out on their own, why do they need everything spoon fed to them? Uhhhh, I’m not contradictory or anything am I?

So I looked fairly close at all three links, and yes I do realize that the second two go to the same place. The first I really liked. It gave that break down of time management which is so crucial to new research writer. They just think you can scratch a paper off over a couple of days and write it in a night. It takes practice to pull that off, trust me. You must get accustomed to writing before you can put things off to the last minute and still expect to get a good grade. Even once you’re proficient, the longer papers still take a couple of weeks at least to do well. So I really liked how it was laid out and encourages the long term usage of information through out the process.

The first link was kind of hodgepodge in where it took its pages from, which I respect. Why rewrite the world when soo much info is already produced and available through the internet. It’s not like the info was ganked from other sites and reproduced as their own. The simply linked many pages to the over all guide, with the subject specific stuff coming internally. Made sense to me.

The second link, the RPC was very nice, but I am a little confused as to why it bothers with two layers of the same content. It gives you the table with links, that all go to the exact same document with parallel links. Seems redundant. The ability to email the outline and to continue to email which step to take, and when, made good sense. It seemed to be focused on High School students, and I think needs to be tweaked a little for college, but I really do like it.

The last link, the teacher resources from the RPC, was very useful. I think some of our Comp instructors could benefit from these pages and hand outs. I can see how taking this overall structure and implementing it for our students could be very beneficial. So that leads me to thin, yes, this could very well be one of the most advantageous Things I have seen so far. I need to let it all role around in my head for a while and see what I can develop. At the very least, it should pick up some of the cobwebs and dirt and help clean that space out. Mwahahahahah

Thing 22, time for reflection, so let me get a mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment